Friday, June 6, 2008

I really need to P

I really need to P-In the conventional, slang term that would mean to rid the body of (gross alert) urine. But for my purpose and because my name starts with P, it means I really need to vent. I drank a really big glass of 24 hour news programming and I need to P.


Why do we need a 24/7 news program? The networks usually run out of important things to say in about 10 minutes. It's not that there isn't other more pertinent stuff happening in the world, it is just that they don't talk about it. Have you ever watched the BBC, they cover the news from everywhere. They don't add conjecture or have commentators, they just tell what they see and know. As far as I can see this is how the 24/7 news programming is:

They cover all the big stories but have 23 hrs and 50 minutes left to fill so they have some actress/newscaster ask her second cousin on the mother's side to comment on why we should be afraid of scurvy during the summer. Then to comment on the comment we have the camera operator's best friend from middle school comment on the comment.

I think they should just be upfront and use this mantra. BE AFRAID, BE AFRAID, IT'S HORRIBLE, BE AFRAID.

We are not going to spontaneously explode! We are not going to die from mad cow's disease in the next 15 minutes. The majority of people in the rest of the world, do not sit around thinking about us as much as we think about ourselves. These are news stories because they are out of the norm. Please everyone, read a book, take a walk, eat some ice cream. Turn off the TV.


I feel better.

No comments: